Monday, July 25, 2011

Must-Have Music Standards

by: Kelsey O'Conor

If you're looking for good music that everyone can enjoy, look no further than 50s and 60s and the romantic standards that came with them.

1. "Ain't That a Kick in the Head" by Dean Martin





My head keeps spinning;
I go to sleep and keep grinning;
If this is just the beginning,
My life's gonna be beautiful.


This song perfectly captures what you're groom is feeling. How in the world did he get such a beautiful, amazing woman like you to fall in love with him? (Easy peasy, he's just as handsome and wonderful himself.)

2. "Fly Me to the Moon (In Other Words)" by Frank Sinatra




Fill my heart with song
And let me sing for ever more
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore


3. "Come Fly With Me" by Frank Sinatra




Once I get you up there where the air is rarified
We'll just glide, starry-eyed
Once I get you up there I'll be holding you so near
You may hear angels cheer 'cause we're together


This song is perfect for a couple who loves travel. Or planes (like I do). It's subject is not as much about romance, so it might not be a fitting first dance song, but it's one that I love and would be a must-have at my wedding.

4. "Cheek to Cheek" by Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald




Heaven, I’m in heaven
And my heart beats so that I can hardly speak
And I seem to find the happiness I seek
When we’re out together dancing cheek to cheek


What better male/female duo is there than the magical pair of Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald? This song is so sweet and simple that I can see every single couple, from your grandparents who just celebrated their 50th anniversary, to your cute little nieces and nephews, out on the dance floor smiling and enjoying themselves dancing.

5. "Embraceable You" by Nat King Cole




I love all the many charms about you
Above all, I want my arms about you


This one is much more slow and dreamy than the rest on my list. That's why I love it.

There are so many different versions of the songs on this list, and the standards in general. If you find a song you love, you can probably find a version of it that fits you as a couple perfectly. There's also covers of these songs by today's artists and not just Harry Connick, Jr. (but you should totally check out the When Harry Met Sally soundtrack - and the movie of course- because his covers are wonderful)

No comments:

Post a Comment